Romantic hideaway for couples, truly romantic location, once the resting place Prince Charles Edward Stuart during the 1745 Jacobite Revolution.
"In a land steeped in legends of the Bonnie Prince – close to Moidart’s sandy shores..."
Where a tree-lined glen opens out onto Loch Moidart and in countryside steeped with tales of Bonnie Prince Charlie, these fine properties stand upon the Kinlochmoidart Estate, within half a mile of the coast and 4 miles from the beach at Glenuig. The Scottish Baronial mansion of Kinlochmoidart House, occupies a marvellous position amidst some of Scotland’s most magnificent West Country scenery. It has been sensitively formed into three residences; two are careful conversions of an extensive service wing, while the main house (part of which is still the owners’ home) is a substantial property laid out over three floors and forming the middle portion of the building. The remaining three properties presented here are separately set in secluded locations within the vast grounds, comprising extensive shared gardens and the surrounding 2,000 acre estate grounds, which grant opportunities for excellent hill walking and fine varied fishing (fly fishing is available by arrangement). Very comfortably furnished, cosily heated and well-equipped throughout, each provides the perfect holiday retreat from which to enjoy an abundance of interests and scenic splendour with which this area is blessed at all times of the year.
Designed by William Leiper in 1884, Kinlochmoidart House is one of the finest examples of his work. It features a superb Art Movement interior – tilings, wallpapers, paint work, panelling and many other intricate architectural features have been painstakingly restored and represented, under strict architectural guidance, to return it to its former splendour. It occupies the site of a house which was once the resting place of Prince Charles Edward Stuart during the 1745 Jacobite Revolution – a connection commemorated in a nearby meadow, where seven beech trees symbolise the Seven Men of Moidart, the sum total of the army which he brought from France.
Just a short walk away from the house lies Loch Moidart, where vast expanses of sand are thrown up by the sea at low tide. At the seaward end of this beautiful inlet, sit the ancient ruins of 14th-century clan castle of Tioram (once the stronghold of the Lord of the Isles), providing a focal point for gloriously scenic views. Between nearby Loch Shiel and Loch Sunart, a trail leads through the Ariundle Oakwoods Nature Reserve – a haven for wildlife – whilst southwards, the coast is punctuated by bays of white sand excellent for fishing and shell-collecting, or admiring the views over hill, loch and sea from horse back. Fort William, gateway to Ben Nevis, is a scenic drive away, and the Western Isles, Skye and Ardnamurchan are all accessible. Sailing at Acharade, 6 miles. Golf 30 minutes’ drive. Inn at Glenuig, 4 miles. Shops 7 miles.
A spacious, attractively furnished conversion of the former service wing. Named after the ‘Glenfield’ generator, which was once housed in the building, it offers self-contained ground floor accommodation. Open-plan sitting/dining room with kitchen area. Double bedroom (5ft bed). Bathroom with over-bath shower and toilet.
- Electricity and full NSH by meter reading
- Towels included
- Terrace with furniture
- Bed linen included
- Shared gardens and grounds of 2,000-acres
- Ample parking
- Natural spring water supply
- No smoking
- Fly fishing £30 per rod per day by arrangement
- NB: Duck pond in grounds