out of 10
The house itself is lovely, and its age and quirkiness are a real selling point, however, the general cleanliness and some minor sticking points let it down somewhat. We rent homes regularly, both for work, and personally, and at the price point that Place house is set at, there are certain things that you would expect/don’t expect.
1. The curtains at one of the windows in the sitting room are literally just folded over the curtain pole.
2. The small armchair in the sitting room is really stained and paint splattered
3. The curtains in the smaller top floor bedroom are also not on a pole, though there is one, and are instead threaded on to some kind of sticks, which makes it nearly impossible to open and close them easily.
4. The net curtain in the bathroom is inadequate for privacy. It’s also just tied in a knot at the bottom and seems a bit rundown.
5. Though the house is marketed as having a washing machine, we couldn’t find a clothes airer to enable us to wash, then dry the clothes (I may have missed it, but did look in all cupboards to try and find one) With three beach loving children, the lack of anywhere to dry clothes was quite a frustration.
6. Some windows seem to be stuck shut, not such a big deal for us, it was just to air the house a bit, but in summer this might be an issue for others. Specifically the left hand window in the kitchen, and one of the windows in the smaller top floor bedroom.
7. If paper/card have to be placed into a brown bag for recycling, some should be provided.
8. The TV remote - only the buttons on the right hand side worked, which meant the volume was stuck as some deafening level, and couldn’t be switched down (down volume button on the errant left hand side!) We couldn’t therefore use the TV for the duration of our stay (no big deal for us, we played cards instead, but may be more of an issue for others who stay)
This feedback is intended to be constructive, as we all felt that Place house is a lovely house, but it does need a bit of TLC in some areas to make it slightly less frustrating for families staying for 2+ day stays. The owner was also very helpful with suggestions of where to eat, and trying to resolve the WiFi issue when we arrived, so is very easy to communicate with should you need to.